Saturday, January 10, 2009

Week after ION

A week has passed since I joined ION. Let me take a stock of the place so far ... to tell you the truth I’m still not very comfortable there. The place is very formal ... too formal for my liking. People are very “professional” ... if you know what I mean. Most of them are always sitting on their chairs ... staring at the monitors. Either they have too much work ... or they just wish Katrina Kaif or Brad Pitt will pop outta screen. OK OK ... I’m being kinda judgmental ... but this is what I am feeling right now. I so wish that I am wrong about this ... but then hell ... I am a scary judge of people (stole this line ... from where ... go figure). The other day I was supposed to go to the VFS office at Nehru Place to apply for UK business visa since I would be going for couple of weeks for business meetings. I was told that I would be going there on my own ... they won’t provide me any conveyance. Aha !!! We (I and the girl in my team) reached the Visa office somehow and submitted the documents and went straight to home. So much for the 10 hour work schedule ... hahahahaha. Talking about the 10 hour drill ... well turned out that it’s a figment of the workforce's imagination ... this is not official. People just work for hours and hours just to register their presence and to make the management know that they are still there. Come on seriously ... guys and gals ... get a life ... seriously.

All right ... now that I have vented all my chafes ... let me seriously take a stock of the situation. Well I guess I am still under GL hangover. I guess getting out of the comfort level is harder than what I thought it would be. ION is not as big as GL ... hence the difference in environment and culture (or lack of it). I got to adjust accordingly ... don’t necessarily have to mould myself into another numb “monitor watcher”. That should be easy (yeah ... right). I should start ignoring small annoyances like going to the Visa office on my own ... I guess with every job you tend to compromise somewhere. I started to fix issues on my own ... like the issue of commute to/fro office. The day I joined ION, I registered for the office cab. But when I experienced it, I found out that it is not very convenient. It plies from CP to Noida, which means that to reach CP, I gotta change 2 metros. Above all, in the evening, it moves at 7:45ish. As a result I was reaching home at 10ish. To fix this, I quit the cab and did a test trail of a charter bus (in the evening). It originates from a nearby place and best part .... It moves at 7ish, which means that I will be reaching home at 8:30ish. In the morning also, I will catch a charter bus.

Now that I got the commute thingy under control ... let me think what I can do about the environment and how to relax at office. I guess when I start working ... the time would pass easily. I don’t think mixing with people is necessary and I don’t really care much about it either. I guess I can work this out ... will be little challenging ... but will (gotta) manage. I have made a decision ... I will try to slog for 6 months minimum ... and after that I will review the situation. Hope things will be different.

No comments: