Tuesday, January 13, 2009

An unusual tea break

In the morning, I felt an urge to have my cuppa tea. So I got down (my office is on the 4th floor) and asked the chai walla (tea vendor) to make a cup of strong tea. As I was standing near the thella (cart) – sipping my cuppa and enjoying the winter morning sun – suddenly a thought crossed my mind. I should shed the doubts about the office and start enjoying the place. I decided that I would work as hard as I could possibly can. Its kinda eerie to get such feelings ... specially related to WORK ... but then I guess it is all because of that damn article that I read before coming down for the tea. I read an article about the impact of recession on jobs. Na Na ... wait a minute ... don’t think that I’m afraid or anything ... but when I realized that so many people have lost or are loosing their jobs (possibly their livelihood) ... I felt that I should be thankful to still have a job. I read all the comments that were posted in that article and realized that things are really bad for few people. Few days back I read similar kind of article where they documented the daily life of a couple in US. Due to recession and scarcity of jobs, they were forced to stay apart just to make enough money for their family. In fact, the couple lived on separate continents for their jobs. I know its not a common thing, but this simply shows the extremes of the recession. Poeple are forced to live apart, do crummy jobs, get minimum wage, salary cuts, loss of social life, Et cetera Et cetera. When I compare my life with all those who are in distress, I feel lucky ... in a strange way. Here I’m cribbing about the dull work environment and boring colleagues. I just asked few questions to myself ... and I decided that as long as I am here, I would stop cribbing and start bettering myself. Yeah Ankur you are right ... there is still plenty to learn and do ... I read your comment in my last post.

I have given myself 6 months to either like the work and office ... or I should be good enough to move on. And for that, I would have to be a “super star” performer. So I have decided that within these 6 months, I would gain knowledge (possibly do couple of QA related certifications as well), will work hard (be an indispensible “worker”) and stop worrying. The doubts that I have about this new office are not that big ... they shouldn't act as deterrents. Anyhoo ... got the UK visa today and most probably I would be in London by next week (did I hear globe trotter !!!).

Talking about London ... one of the reasons I did not join the family business was exactly this. I always wanted to travel different cities, countries, continents. I also knew that if I join the business, it would be very hard for me to go to such places. First I saw New York and now London ... wuuuuhuuu ... suddenly life seems all right. You win some and you loose some.

1 comment:

Ankur said...

keep focussed, have ur weekly and monthly goals and work on it...tats it,,dont worry abt things that r not in ur control.