Monday, January 26, 2009

London Tour: Tussauds and Dungeon

First day I reached office little late because I didn't knew the exact way to the office. Even though, my office is in one of the most famous building of London (The Gherkin), it took me a while. Actually I was moving in complete opposite direction and I realized it when I asked a road service woman; she told me to turn around and go all the way back ... damn. Anyhoo ... when I reached office, I realized that its just 5 mins walk from my hotel. Niceeee !!! The first two days at office were full of training sessions and meetings. Kinda boring ... ahahahaha

London is really expensive ... everything costs double than what I would pay in New York ... and that says a lot because NY is not the cheapest city in the world. I bought a pack of juice from the nearby Tesco shop. Now the problem was how would I keep it in cool place since my hotel room do not have fridge. Being an Indian, I came up with a jugad (out of the box way to accomplish a task). I opened the window and kept the bottle on the edge (it was 6-7 inches wide). The cold weather of London kept my bottle chilled thru the night. Now that I have successfully tested this I am using that window space for keeping my stuff cold and fresh. LOL.

Saturday came and I was ready to see the city. Like every other western city, London too slows down in weekends. The tube/buses/DLR etc cut down on its services. So I got to the nearby tube station and enquired at the information counter about how to reach Greenwich. The lady there told me that I need to take a bus and then need to ride the DLR. OK ... like I know every freakin bus and DLR route in London ... huh!!!. Anyways, I bought the day pass (£5.60) which was valid in all public transportation in Zone 1 and Zone 2. The thing is if you have a pass for particular zones, you can travel anywhere (within that zone), anyhow (tube/bus/DLR). With the pass in my hand I rode Bus # 100 from Aldgate, which took me to Shadwell. From there I took the DLR to Greenwich. It was fun .. I saw the National Maritime Museum, Queen’s House and Royal Observatory.
 
 
 
All right, Saturday gone ... came Sunday. The plan was to see Madame Tussauds. My planning was immaculate. On Friday, I checked out the weather forecast for the weekend. Saturday was all sunshine ... Sunday was wet and wild. You should always check the weather in unknown cities before venturing out. As a result, I planned Greenwich on Saturday because it was all outdoors and planned Tussauds because its indoors. Again I bought the day pass and took the Metropolitan tube to the Baker street. Madame Tussauds is just near the tube station. At the ticket counter I came to know that there was some bulk deal ... so I took the £50 ticket which would enable me to visit Tussauds, London Dungeon, and London Eye. Even though it seemed kinda steep ... but who said that visiting a European city would be cheap. Saw all the world famous wax figures .... man it was fun.
 
 
  
 
 
Came back to hotel ... rested for a while and then got out again for the London Dungeon. Reaching there was bit tricky as I had to change couple of tubes ... took the train to Mooregate and from there took the Northern line to London Bridge station. Like Madame Tussauds, Dungeon was also adjacent to the station. Since I had the ticket beforehand, I avoided the queue. Like its name ... Dungeon was an ode to gore ....
 
 
Oh ... want a fun ... two days of city roaming ... wow.

1 comment: