Saturday, January 31, 2009

London Tour: 4 Museums

Wuhu !!! weekend again ... time to see London again. Got out of the hotel at 10:15 ... bought the day pass from Aldgate East and took the District line tube to South Kensington station. When I got off the tube and was about to get out of the station, I saw a subway which had the street signs of all the three museums (Natural History, Science, and Victoria & Albert Museums). First, I visited the Natural History museum. Standing at the door ... I was just blown away by the massiveness of the building ... also it was so darn beautiful. The architecture ... aahh ... you got to see it to believe it. Just as I entered, I was greeted by a dinosaur skeleton ... it was hugeeee. The museum had the biggest, tallest, and rarest animals in the world – in stuffed form obviously ... ahahahaha. I tried to see everything as fast as possible because I had planned to visit 6 museums. However, snapping pics ... seeing the stuff ... time just flew. So I stuck to the main areas of the museum and got out at around noon.
 
 
Victoria and Albert museum was just across the road. Again the architecture ... simply superb !!! V&A is dedicated to arts. The museum was organized into 5 main areas – Asia, Europe, Modern, Materials, and Exhibitions. Since I was short of time, I stuck to Asia, Europe, and Materials sections. The museum was like a montage of all the best art artifacts of all the major civilizations. Like the Arabic section was heavy on carpets, China had chinaware and Japan had all daggers as main attractions. Europe was full of all the paintings, statues, royal rooms and dresses. The museum had an amazing collection of jewellery. All in all ... the museum was dedicated to richness and good things in life ... and my my ... it had some stuff.
 
 
Again crossed the road and got to Science museum. The area is like museum mushroom ... LOL. You turn around and baamm ... you are on the doorsteps of some museum. But I was not complaining. Even though my back and legs were hurting ... I was just in museum seeing trance. Just as I entered, I picked up the museum map booklet to plan out my visit. After visiting two history and culture heavy museum, science museum came as a welcome change. It was based on contemporary stuff and was much more interactive. Must say it was fun to see the evolution of such mundane stuff like washing machines, microwave oven, radio, vacuum cleaner, music and video players, computers, etc. There were plenty of interactive activities for kids ... well many of them were lame and childish. I had my lunch inside the museum ... when I saw the watch ... it was 2 already and I was not thru with the museum. Damn !!!
 

 
Got out of the museum at 3 pm. I knew it that I won’t be able to see the rest of the 3 museums. So I had to drop 2 museums – British Museum and National Gallery. I thought that since I would be going to visit Westminster on Sunday, I would take out time to visit British museum. National Gallery ... well ... may be next time. So Tate Modern was the left on my list of museum to visit ... I quickly got to the tube station. On reaching the station, I came to know that the Southwark (Jubilee line) tube was closed for the weekend. So I came back to Westminster and then changed the tube and got to Waterloo station. Came out of the station and got a bus to Tate Modern. This museum was dedicated to modern and contemporary art. Just as I entered the museum, I saw a giant spider sculpture. However the museum turned out to be bit disappointing ... partly because I just couldn’t appreciate most of the art pieces.
 

Anyhoo ... got out of the museum at 6 pm and took the bus to get to the tube station. The bus was a double decker. So I got to the upper deck ... and saw London. Beautiful I must say. Another great day of touring London ... and another one to come.

No comments: