Saturday, July 18, 2009

Sach Ka Saamna

A new reality show is on telly these days ... Sach Ka Saamna (Facing the truth) on Start TV. It is a franchise of hit (and controversial) American show named The Moment of Truth. Not long ago ... Star World used to air it ... and I use to watch it religiously. The show asked some really uncomfortable questions and I as a viewer was totally engrossed in knowing whether the contestant was telling the truth or not. Some of the questions were so personal that it was uncomfortable to even watch ... I don’t know how the contestants must had felt. But ... the lure of money makes us human ... well human beings. I won’t say that the show was entertaining ... but it was intriguing for sure. The show was definitely not for immature viewers ... and I remember that I used to shoo away my cousins whenever this show was on telly. I even asked my mum not to watch it. Once my cousin told me that what if this show comes on some Indian channel ... in Hindi ... and I laughed at her. I told her that Indian channels are not bold enough to have a show like this ... and I did not believe that Indian audiences are mature enough to watch it. Look who is laughing now ...

Anyways ... couple of weeks back I caught the promos of this new Hindi reality show ... and I was shocked to see that the moment of truth is indeed happening on Indian television. I was surprised to say the least ... but then I thought they can’t ask uncomfortable questions. They don’t have the “balls”. I thought lemme bask in the glory and I thought I would have to opportunity to say “I told you so”. So I sat down and watched it with my family ... and boy it was really uncomfortable. I could not believe my ears ... the questions were tough as nails. So far, I have caught of episodes and most uncomfortable questions were more or less dealt with sexual relationships and infidelity. I am sure that the show will ask few innovative questions as well ... like they do it in the original version ... but judging by the start of the series ... I must say that I am happy to be wrong. Finally, Indian channels are taking some risks ... and that’s a good thing for Indian viewers. Its sad though that almost everything that you see on telly is a copy or franchise of some western show ... but it’s a start and I am sure that Indian channels will come up with ground breaking shows in near future.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

personally, i didnt like the show
but Anchoring is good. If you bring on celebs then its okay but no fun watching ordinary ppl like myself.

Pankaj Jaju said...

@Anonymous
Yeah I also appreciate the show's choice of anchor ... they choose a fresh (read younger) face. Unlike AB and SRK, he is not so over-powering over the show's content. The content is the king ... for a change.

And even ordinary people like you and me have secrets ... sometimes even more astonishing than the so-called celebrities.

And I really like this show ... loved it in its American avataar and loving it in its desi avataar as well.