Monday, June 29, 2009

Section 377

Delhi (and other major cities across India and world) witnessed “Gay Pride Parade”. Where I stand on the issue of homosexuality ... hmmm ... hard to answer. I consider myself fairly liberal and believe that if a person is happy with another same sex person ... so be it. I think (and believe) that people should have the freedom to choose anything ... unless the desired thing is illegal or immoral. Last time I checked, homosexuality is a crime in India (Section 377 of IPC). In addition, majority of Indians believes that homosexuality is immoral and unnatural.

I saw this poster where a gay person was holding a placard which proclaimed that he was “Proud to be Gay”. Funny thing ... his face was hidden behind a colorful mask. I can’t understand what is there to be proud of? Do we straight people hold such parades and announce that “We are proud to be straight”. We don’t because we don’t have to proclaim the obvious. The newspaper also displayed a picture where two gay men were shoving their tongues into each other ... honestly ... get a room. Just to be politically correct, no prominent personality objected to the parade. I also believes that people are brainwashed in thinking that homosexuality is OK. The media is so biased in the favor of it that it makes me feel that most of the media people are ... queers. Have you ever read any newspaper column or seen it on television which claims that homosexuality is not all right? I haven’t ... specially the television ... which has gone to such extent that it feels like they are propagating this. Every coin has two sides ... and it is media’s responsibility to show both perspectives.

You must be thinking that I am a homophobe and I detest gay people. On the contrary ... I don’t. I don’t hate them and neither do I outright reject the concept. Lets face it ... homosexuality is for real and who am I to judge people for their behavior. It is illegal all right ... but the laws are really old and they need to keep up with the times. As long as both partners are wise (and old enough) and are in consent ... good for them. If they want to marry ... so be it ... let them marry. Let them have all the rights that a normal couple have. However, when it comes to raise a child ... I am firmly against it. I don’t think a child should be raised by homosexual people. The reasons are obvious ... a child’s mind is very impressionable and they grow up according to their upbringing. I am not sure that homosexual parents can raise a straight child (chances are very slim anyhow). Let the child have the freedom to choose what they want to be ... they don’t need to be forced.

As I said earlier ... that as long as the couple (straight or gay) consists of consenting adults ... they should have the right to choose a mate. Come to think of it ... why does society look down upon those who have multiple partners? Well ... I guess that is a topic for another post ... perhaps.

No comments: