Friday, June 26, 2009

Farewell MJ

What a dreadful start to the day ... King of Pop is no more.

Since it was Friday, I was happy while coming to the office ... even though the Metro was crowded than usual ... I was still happy and listening to the radio (usually 95FM) ... and suddenly Sharthak (RJ) announced that today they would be paying tribute to MJ because he passed away. And I was like ... WTF ... this can’t be happening ... I must have misheard him. So I switched the channel to 102.6FM and there I heard “Bad” ... and I then knew that MJ is truly gone. The RJ re-confirmed it. I was pissed because the RJ showed no emotions ... he simply said that today MJ died and we are gonna play few of his songs ... and then took some requests and laughed. I mean ... OK ... being a RJ ... you gotta entertain people ... but why do they forget that it is only because of the musicians their channel is in the air ... they should have showed some respect ... and this is MJ we are talking about ... the biggest star/entertainer/musician of this century. Anyways ... I guess I was pissed more because of the news that MJ is no more ... what a bummer.

I was (still am because music will never die) a big MJ fan. When I say I am a fan, I mean I am a fan of his music. I never judged him for all the allegations or his eccentricities ... they don’t concerns/bothers me. I loved his music and I am not ashamed to admit that. I still remember that when I was really young and living in a small village ... where no one ever heard of any English music ... I saw his album “Thriller” in front of the cassette player (those were the days ... ahhh). I curiously picked it up and saw this strange looking man on the cover of it. Probably I was 6-7 years old then ... and I never heard any English song nor have I seen any English music album. I looked around and I asked my mom who is he ... she said she don’t know ... may be Kishan Kaka (my uncle) bought the cassette ... he must be knowing. Anyways ... I played the cassette and I was instantly hooked. Never mind I could not understand a single word he was saying ... but such was the magic in his music. As time went by ... and I shifted to Delhi ... the first album that I bought was ... you guessed it right ... a MJ album ... “Dangerous”. And today I have every hit MJ song in my collection.

Lately his life was in turmoil ... with child abuse court cases ... his albums not doing well ... his surgeries ... his change of faith (he died a Muslim if you care to know) ... things were not looking up for him. Whenever you talk about him or even about his music, people raised their eyebrows ... but why must they forget that the guy gave some wonderful music. He was (and forever will be) known as “King of Pop” for a reason. Why do people judge him for all the other stuff ... which frankly is none of anyone’s concerns. He was king and forever will be ... and it would be hard to get someone like him anytime soon. Recently he tried to put his house in order by planning a series of shows to get him out of debt troubles. He named the tour as “This is it” tour ... how ironical. Well the man is gone ... but I know his music will live forever.

Rest in peace MJ and thank you for the music.

No comments: