Thursday, June 11, 2009

Alert people and a clever driver

Its been a while since I blogged ... nothing special happened ... and nothing excited me to write. Above all ... I had loads of workload at office too. Today was also not much fun ... but couple of minor incidents happened and I thought what the heck ...

While going to office today, at Shastri Park metro station when the metro stopped ... I saw a unclaimed small bag lying on the floor ... soon almost everyone in the coach started to stare at that bag with suspicion. Someone pulled the emergency alarm and within minutes, the metro staff came and checked the bag. It was a lunch bag ... someone might have forgotten to carry due to rush ... someone is going to be really mad at lunch time ... ahahahaha. Anyhoo ... it was good to see such awareness among people and the rapid action taken by the metro staff. Kudos to them ... not everything is lost yet ... there is still hope ... people do learn from what they see on telly and newspapers. India is a victim of terrorism ... and there are so many incidents when such unclaimed baggage exploded ... claiming so many innocent lives. And I guess Delhiites do take pride in their metro ... they try to keep it neat and clean ... and they r alert for anything that looks suspicious. I hope all Delhiwallas learn some manners while getting on/off the metro ... that would be cherry on the cake.

Another interesting thing that happened today when I was leaving office for home. Due to workload ... I stayed at office more than the usual and when I got out ... I took an auto. He asked for 100 bucks and I somehow managed to negotiate at 60 bucks (we Indians are darn good at bargaining ... ahahahaha). Soon we got to the highway and ... ohhh !!! horrible traffic jam. The entire highway was choc-o-block ... dust ... noise ... absolute chaos. The auto driver turned back and said ... see I told you ... this is not a 60 bucks drive ... see the traffic. I said calm down man. I come via this route daily and 60 bucks are very reasonable. He smiled and turned his attention back to driving. Suddenly he took a left turn ... now we were on a small sideway which was leading to the slums nearby. The road (sorta ... more like dirt track) was really spine breaking ... really bumpy. After 5-6 minutes of hell ride, we got on the highway again. Surprise surprise ... the traffic which seemed never ending ... was behind us. I was impressed by the auto driver’s knowledge of roads and shortcuts. He saved at least 30 minutes ... good job. When I got down at Anand Vihar ... I gave him 65 bucks ... I wanted to give him 70 instead of 60 (the original price for the commute) ... but I needed 5 bucks for the bus. Anwyays ... he was happy and so was I.

I was free for a day or two some days ago ... and I made a small application in Excel which shows stock price in real time ... so keep watching this space ... I will post the application soon.

FTW

No comments: