Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Screwjob

This week my mid–term appraisal was done. As expected, it was not to my liking. I did get not–so–bad rating but not the promotion (which I deserved). When I asked why the promotion was not given, I was told that I was not responsible enough. Funny, since I got the highest rating in the last appraisal cycle (6 months back). Let me conveniently ignore the fact that as late as in August, my boss appreciated my efforts ... let me just erase it from my memory. The question is – how come an ‘irresponsible’ guy like me got a Star rating? And if I was that good 6 months back, what the heck did I do in last 6 months which turned me into a slack? No, no wait ... I got it ... I think I have a hunch ... hmmm ... how can I forget that I quit the project couple of months back ... foolish me. Now that I am no longer an ‘asset’, I got screwed (to put it mildly). I guess the promises made to me last time are just that – promises.

The worst part of all this commotion is that I really worked pretty darn hard in this project (2+years). That’s quite some time in a single project (by IT industry’s standards). This after the fact that the client (let’s call him Bob) is not the most accommodating (to say the LEAST). Not a single person in my project is a happy chappie. In fact, in past 2 years, I have seen 2 project managers (including the current one) quitting, 1 team lead quitting, many team members quitting. No matter what they say, they themselves know that one of the main reasons of quitting was – his royal highness. Unlike them, I would be very honest. My one and only reason for leaving the project is Bob. Who else in right mind will walk out of a project which has huge growth potential? Well such an idiot can only be yours truly. The project is about to go in major expansion mode and it offers a long term New York stay. Only me ... only a fool like me.

I am a passionate kind of a person ... whatever I do or believe ... I do it with full gusto. If I don’t like anything, I won’t do it – no matter what. I never cared for the consequences before, and will never care for them in future. Once my senior manager told me that I should be more ‘politically correct’. Huh !!! Isn’t being ‘correct’ (only) good enough? Since I just had it with the project, I decided that I will leave it before I completely lose my mind. Being a professional, I told my manager that I would like to leave the project since I don’t think I can convince myself to give 100% and if I can’t give my best to the project, I should not be a part of it. Surprisingly, I was let go ... without much hue and cry. But when it came to appraise me, I was robbed. Anyhoo ... I have rejected the appraisal and waiting for my next round of meetings with the senior management to get the ‘right’ answers for all the ‘wrongs’. Fingers crossed ...

Little training update ....Today I got an appreciation letter because of my training efforts. The training was very well received (not my words ... I'm quoting from the letter ... HEHEHE). Along with the letter, I am now entitled to reimburse purchase of a book worth INR 250. Wuhuuu !!!!

1 comment:

Sunny said...

Jajz i think you knew deep down that the appraisal is gonna be on these lines itself. Never mind, talk to the senior flak there and try and beg for something you think you deserve. With condolences.