Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Rain and chaos

After sweltering weather for about 2-3 weeks, yesterday Delhi-NCR region got some much awaited rain (and hailstorm as bonus). The day started normally ... heat and dust ... but by 3‘o clock, the skies turned dark and grey. I was sitting on my chair ... working (hehe ... really I was) ... and when I looked out the window ... the dark clouds brought a smile on my face. I don’t like summers ... specially Delhi’s summers. It’s hot ... humid ... sometimes absolutely inhospitable. The temperatures can touch 48-49 degrees (hot enough ... ahahahaha). And I am talking about Celsius ... not Fahrenheit. For all those who count in Fs ... it’s nearly 120 degrees (whopping). April experienced an unprecedented heated weather ... breaking 50 years records (stupid global warming ... d’uh). I was hoping and praying that things calm down a bit ... and yesterday rain gods heard my prayers. It rained ... and at some places ... hailstorms.

But something’s gotta give ... with every good thing ... how can bad stuff be left behind. Rain bought chaos ... the traffic went for a tailspin. The roads were chockablock ... traffic was as slow as snail. When I reached ISBT (to catch Metro), I was told that the Rithala (my train) route is not functioning. Due to rain, the line developed some fault (I guess short circuit in some transformer) ... and the line is completely closed. Ufff ... what a bummer. I still got to the platform and ... boy o boy ... the platform was a sea of people. They were still waiting (hoping would be a better choice of word) for the train. The clock kept on displaying 6 minutes as time for arrival (next train). Ahahaha ... I guess to provide false hope ... what a herd. Funny thing ... no body seems to care that whenever the time for the next train becomes 1 minute ... the clock starts showing 6 minutes (reset).
Huge crowd at platform
People rushing to get into the Metro
I asked the Metro staff and he told me that the line is closed for the past 3 hours. He then received some information on his walkie-talkie ... the train is coming. Wuhu !!! Finally the train came ... but I could not got inside. You have to be a superman to get past the huge crowd ... so I though that I will wait for the next train. I kept on waiting ... 15 minutes ... 20 minutes ... but the next train did not come. I lost my patience and got down ... went straight to the underground level and caught the Jehangir Puri metro, which dropped me at Azad Pur station. Its 15 minutes drive from my place ... and my Mamaji (maternal uncle) was already waiting for me (I called him from the train).

One rain ... and the entire city get crippled.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

missing garma garam pakore, chaai ke piyali
but i agree on chaos part. commuting becomes hell when it rains

Ankur said...

thats something happening to our world class metro service