Friday, May 22, 2009

Lets connect

Just came back after meeting Verma and Seth ... high school buds. Verma is in Delhi on a break ... he is doing his MBA. So it was time to catch up with the life. We met at the old market place where we used to hang out after almost every day when we were kids. 3 old buds meeting after god knows how long ... felt great. Its not like that we don’t keep in touch ... we chat ... talk over phone ... exchange e-mails ... scraps ... all the internet social networking one can think of. But to meet them in person ... nothing can beat that. No matter how much we achieve in electronic communication ... nothing can come close to in-person meeting. A simple “hey man whats up” in person is much more fascinating than pages of e-mails or hours on phone. You can truly judge a person’s happiness and excitement when you see the smiles ... the ever changing expressions on a human face.

We human beings are an intriguing species ... so many socio-emotional layers. We are what we are because of our ability to convey and interpret emotions – good or bad. It drives almost every aspect of our lives. No matter how advance we become ... we will always be human first. It makes us tick ... it makes us make sense of it all. Let me explain it in terms of my personal experience – when I was in NYC, I used to talk to my family every day. From my hotel room, I used to chat (even video chats) ... it was almost as if I was in Delhi itself. But that’s the catch ... it was almost like I was there ... but it really wasn’t the same. I may not talk at all when I am at home ... but the mere physical presence brings a very different feeling. I can’t put the feeling in words ... but I hope you get what I mean.

It’s a privilege to be a human being ... it’s a privilege to have friends and family. It’s a privilege to convey and interpret emotions ... lets try to connect as human beings. Lets not always send SMS/tweets/instant messages ... lets meet ... lets connect the way it is supposed to be.

xoxo

No comments: