Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Snowing cats and dogs

It started to snow on Sunday evening and continued until Monday night. It was not mild flurry – it snowed cats and dogs (if that is an emphatic expression). The roads, tree, buildings ... everything wore a snow-white look. Is it my luck or what ... I like snowfall like I love chocolate ... and it snowed like the heaven’s gate were let loose by the almighty. Aah ... the weather is bringing out the writer in me. Well anyhoo ... where was I ... ooh yeah ... the snow. I just saw on the telly (very British ... ahahahaha) that this was the worst (magnificent to me though) snowfall in last 2 decades. So much so that the entire city’s public transportation stopped. It was Monday ... but judging from the streets you would not have guessed it. The streets were empty like it is a curfew. My office was almost empty ... in fact none of my teammates came. To be fair ... they simply could not because there were no buses or trains to travel. This was the story across all the offices ... the schools were closed ... most of the tourist spots were empty ... overall the entire city stood still.
 
This brings me to the famous Mumbai rains couple of years ago when entire Mumbai was crippled due to relentless rains. We all were quick to point out the hapless public infrastructure. I distinctly remember that I said that if something like this happens in any rich city they would have handled it in better way. Ooh ... how wrong I was. I saw what happened to London and to be honest I felt like Mumbai dealt with it in a better way. At least the Mumbaikars showed more grit and determination to deal with the nature’s fury. My brother in law walked 15 kms back home from office and his brother stayed at office for 2 days. But Mumbai never died like London did yesterday. It is very easy to point figures when the public system breaks down. But today I realized that no matter how affluent a city is, it is still a pawn in nature’s hand. When Mother Nature unleashes her fury ... no amount of planning or organization can save us. Nature still dictates the terms and we human beings are still way behind to calm her or face her wrath.

Talking about mother ... I miss my mommy ... coming home soon mom ... I so miss you.

No comments: