Thursday, December 18, 2008

GL ... going going !!!

Well the day finally arrived ... the day I was anxious about ... and secretly wished didn’t come soon ... but things usually don’t go according to my wishes or plans ... I quit GL few days back and had the pre-exit interview today. Well ... sometimes you gotta take decisions which are not of your liking but you gotta take them anyhow ... Having worked here for 3.5 years and having liked most of it ... it was not the easiest of decisions ... Last 6 months, things were not very comfy-comfy ... I tried very hard to keep going on but I couldn’t found enough reasons (well not any) to stay any longer and weather this turbulence.

In the pre-exit interview, after hearing my reasons for quitting, the HR gal asked me – what can she do so that I reconsider the decision ... she told me that if I want the promotion (which I firmly believe that I should have got in the appraisal) ... she can make it happen in the next cycle ... if I am worried about job security (due to recession, things are not very hunky dory in GL), she can get me a project. She said if these things happen... will I reconsider. I thought for a sec (should not have) ... but when I ran the montage in my head of all the things that made me do this, there was only one answer... NO. I asked her that I was not given the promotion last time because the management didn’t thought I was ready for it (I know they are wrong) ... and having been on bench for almost 3 months (the time since I stopped working seriously) ... how can I get the promotion ... on what grounds GL will give it ... If I was not good enough 5 months back ... what wonderful things I have done to deserve the promotion ... and why I am being given these options now when I dropped the papers. Obviously she didn’t had any answer ... she asked me alright since you are not happy (!!!) what do you wanna do ? To serve the one month notice or want early release ... I opted for the latter. So 26th it is ... the last official day at GL ... never thought I will bid adieu to the place so soon ... but ... whatever ... you know ... shit happens.

3.5 years may not be a great deal of time frame at one workplace, but if you are an IT person (read IT coolie) in India, it is a lifetime. I made few wonderful friends and I absolutely loved the place for the first 2.5 years ... I don’t think many organizations in Delhi-NCR have such an work environment ... but for the last 1 years... GL has grown too big for its own good. It got big ... and started to act like one. The huge influx of new people has surely changed the atmosphere ... sadly not for good. In addition, the recession made things worse. Anyhow, like they say ... all good things must come to an end.

2 comments:

Ankur said...

its sad that GL does not feel the pain in letting ppl go...

Pankaj Jaju said...

Well... GL these days is very itchy ... and they probably feels good that ppl r leaving on their own... rather than being laid off...