Friday, August 28, 2009

Being Vegetarian

While coming to office I saw this horrendous act of “humanity”. A total WTF!!!
I am a hardcore vegetarian and cruelty towards animals hurts me physically ... emotionally ... physiologically ... any other ally one can think of. Couple of moths back I was watching a show where they showed how meat is obtained. Firstly, they showed the old fashioned way to cut an animal into meat pieces. The cow/pigs are butchered live ... one of the most shocking things that I have ever seen. Then they showed how “modern” ways ... whereby a pig is given an electric shock so that he becomes numb and then the pig is hung on a hook and a butcher slits the throat. I get nightmares just by imagining that sight. Oh how have the humanity progressed ... we even kill an innocent animal in a civilized manner. Stuff like this makes me even more determined to never eat any meat.

Whenever I go abroad ... the first question that people asks me that what you eat to survive. I always say that if you look for it ... vegetarian food is not that hard to find. The choices may be limited ... but enough to keep you honest. Many of my friends enjoys meat (couple of them are born to eat meat only ... ahahaha ... yall know who you are). I distinctly remember that once ... I and a very good friend of mine (Verma) ... were hanging around and suddenly he saw a meat shop. He went inside ... ordered some pork slices ... and ate it. I was ... like OMFG ... that was wrong on so many levels. I don’t know what got into me ... but I was totally shocked and pissed off. I scolded him like a school teacher ... gave him a serious talk down. Couple of weeks after that, he told me that he quit eating meat. Don’t think that he did it because of my outburst ... but he did quit and he is a veggie till date. NICEEE !!!

Being born in Marwari family, I was raised a vegetarian. I did try to dabble with non-veg but I could not go beyond eggs. I would be honest ... it tasted good but the feeling of guilt was so strong that I could not try it again. This is perhaps the only rule that I have followed throughout my life (so far ... so good). Would I be tempted to eat meat ... hell yeah ... that darn thing looks so delicious ... but would I be able to eat it ... I don’t (and hope) think so.

No comments: